Welcome to our 2021 February Notebook, a roundup of shops news, openings, events and things we are loving around the internet. As the pandemic still rages around the world travel continues to be curtailed and many places are on lockdown. So while we remain closer to home we will dream and plan for when life returns to more normal again.
This year we continue on our mission to share as many small shops as possible. We will be adding to our maps and guides, sharing shop features and best lists. Firstly, in January Notebook we featured Paris shops (from a visit at the end of 2019) as to coincide with the featured destination on the first month of our 2021 Calendar. Each month we are featuring different cities from previous travels – just until we are free to roam again. February featured city is Edinburgh.
Featured shops in our Edinburgh guide
• Lifestory, a lifestyle and coffee shop with a strong Scandi influence.
• Golden Hare Books, award-winning, design-led independent bookshop.
• Dick’s men’s, women’s wear and accessories shop was born from a passion for beautifully-made goods.
Discover these shops and more of our favorite Edinburgh independent shops on TSK Maps Edinburgh.
Shop our favorite independent Edinburgh stores online with our Shop Edinburgh Shopping Guide.
Enter for a chance to win a copy of Sean Scherer’s Kabinett & Kammer: Creating Authentic Interiors book.
In other news…
- February is Black History Month and we’re celebrating by highlighting black-owned shops. From the newly launched online shop Black Owned Everything to these Black-Owned shops we featured last year.
- We’re loving this list of 30 black-owned businesses on epicurious.com
- New Shop opening: Pidgin in Oak Hill, Upstate New York is a gorgeous antiques and home decor store by the talented Kostas Anagnopoulos. Read and see more on Remodelista Shopper’s Diary.
- An interesting piece on Refinery 29 by Sadbh O’Sullivan about our complicated relationships with Fast Homewares that we can no longer ignore.
- Breathing life into Upstate New York’s Cherry Valley storefronts in NY Times article “Can Cute Windows Resurrect a Depressed Town in Upstate New York?“.
- Loving Vogues The Independents: 58 small businesses to support across America. Makes us want to go on a road trip!
- London women’s brand & shop Colenimo at Hankyu, Osaka popup curated by artist Kentaro Kobuke.
- Enter to win a copy of Sean Scherer’s Kabinett & Kammer: Creating Authentic Interiors.