Welcome to our 2021 January Notebook. Our first roundup of shops news, openings and events of 2021. As the pandemic still rages around the world travel continues to be curtailed and many places are on lockdown. So while we remain closer to home we will dream and plan for when life returns to more normal again.
This year we continue on our mission to share as many small shops as possible. We will be adding to our maps and guides, sharing shop features and best lists. Firstly, in this January Notebook we feature Paris shops (from a visit at the end of 2019) as to coincide with the featured destination on the first month of our 2021 Calendar. Each month we will feature new cities and destinations from previous travels until we are free to roam again.
To welcome 2021 we created this free 2021 monthly calendar to download and print.
Get your download here.
In other news….
- Did you see our Best New Shops 2020 list? Here are the link to see the 10 Best New Shops and read more about these featured shops – Marin Montagut, Joy Thorpe Decorative Antiques & Interiors, The Quiet Botanist.
- Shop the Best New Shops with our shopping guide.
- Sad to hear via 6sqft.com that Big Gay Ice Cream’s first location at 125 East 7th Street in the East Village has closed permanently. Please remember to keep shopping and supporting local – we don’t want anymore small shops closing!!!
- Beloved NYC costume store is fighting to stay open to celebrate this year’s Halloween. Halloween Adventure has been outfitting New Yorkers and their pets since 1981. Help them stay open.
- We love this great new service shopIN.nyc that allows you to shop local stores in one neighborhood and everything is delivered, same day, in one box.
- Read John Herrman’s NY Times article on ” Life without Amazon” and listen to the WNYC All Of It podcast discussion.
- Sullivan Street Bakery is “popping-up” in Soho, NY at 103 Sullivan Street, a few doors away from their original location.
- This January we’re loving the comfortable, casual vibe of Rudy Jude for spending more time at home.
- A Clean Sweep – tips for eco-friendly cleaning from Casa González & González and Farm Soap Co.
- Bird is sadly closing their Brooklyn shops. As reported in Business Insider due to rising rents, dwindling margins and direct-to-consumer competition compounded by the pandemic made it difficult to be profitable.
- Thank you Remodelista for including Best Shops 2020 in this week’s Current Obsessions.
- Do you want us to discover your shop photos on Instagram? Tag us @the_shopkeepers #sharingaworldofshops #sharingtheworldsbestshops #theshopkeepers.